zondag 19 februari 2012

Sunday Bridges

Here the Johnson street cantilever bridge in Victoria Canada. Passing this bridge on a ferry to Vancouver on a holiday in 2003. The bridge consist of a railroad track and a road. After googled the bridge I learned that the railroad track is out of order due to deterioration in key steel support colums. The bridge is 87 years old and connects West Victoria with Downtown Victoria. A new bridge is build beside it and will be completed in march 2016. In the mean time users have to improvise because there are only two lanes left for pedestrians, traffic and cyclists.
For more sunday bridges look here.

8 opmerkingen:

  1. Looks like a pretty amazing construction knowing it is almost 90 years ago !!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I guess a new bridge is a good sign of progress for Victoria. Great shot, Happy Sunday!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. It looks as if it is reaching backwards! I wonder what will happen to it once the new bridge is built?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Amazing construction.
    Nice photo.

    Regards and best wishes

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. After 87 years of hard work, it seems fit that this bridge has earned its retirement.

    «Louis» thanks you for contributing it to Sunday Bridges.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. It's really quite massive, isn't it. I've been to Victoria numerous times and I have to admit I've never noticed this bridge! I'll have to pay better attention next time (before they tear it down)! Thanks for visiting my Sunday bridges post.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Because of some annoying messages I have to check the posts sent to my blog. No anonymous remarks, sorry for that.