dinsdag 31 januari 2012

Taphophile Tragics

This is the grave of Frank Lloyd Wright . One of the greatest architects of the world. Here in Spring Green, Wisconsin he was buried in 1959 at the age of 91 after an failed operation.  However, after the death of Olgivanna Wright his last wife, his body was disinterred, his remains cremated and his ashes mixed with Olivanna's and then divided: some spread over the Arizona desert and the rest interred on the Wright estate.
For more taphophile tragics look here

5 opmerkingen:

  1. That is one way to go. Simon and Garfunkel sing of him in one of their songs.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. How interesting. I wonder if that was Olivanna's idea?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Forever classy. Beautiful grave site, & nice way to return to the earth, I think. Thanks for sharing, s.c.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I like that big rock. Much more personal than a "normal" headstone.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I wonder about the colourful spots, though. Is that a characteristic of FLW design. Not that I know of.

    I suspect that rather than an idea of the final wife (nice way to express this!) it may have been the idea of a set of trustees with an eye to the future marketing of the FLW estate.

    Thank you for this, SC. My sister-in-law is very fond of all things to do with FLW. She and my brother went on a pilgrimage to FLW sites all over the USA just last year. I shall ask her whether she visited his initial resting place.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Because of some annoying messages I have to check the posts sent to my blog. No anonymous remarks, sorry for that.